The most destructive word in any business is “employee.” It’s a disuniting word. It separates management from 90 percent of the company. Wherever you are in the business chain, I want you to start creating an environment that brings people together. Stop falling for what most businesses are doing and take the high road. If you own a business or take ownership of what you do for your company then, you are a business coach and you have a team!
A Business Coach is different from managing, a different concept and takes a “Champion Mindset.” God bless the business that is composed of coaches and teams rather than management and employees.
We’ve all witness the underdog team expected to loss come and win the “Big Game.” They won it not because they had superior skills compared to the chosen team to win. They won because they had a coach who knew how to “Play Better” as a team.
Develop your “Play Book” for a Winning Team. Here are 4 steps that your business coach can do to help you to develop a winning team.
Step 1 GET PERSONAL
- Know each player on the team. What are their strengths? What are their weaknesses? How will they bring their strengths to the team? Who do they think can help them cover their weaknesses?
- Treat them like a human being and not a human doer.
- Take an interest in their lives and what’s going on in their lives.
- Ask them what motivates them and why. Ask them what doesn’t motivate them and why.
- Ask them what’s most important to them about being on the team.
- Ask them what they know about be a team player.
- Ask them what questions they have about becoming a team player. Is there anything that could get in your way of being a team player?
Step 2 Setting the Team Up to Win
- Select your team players to play to each others strengths.
- Balance the team with someone who can be the strength to every weakness.
- Team Leader strengths are able to transfer power, authority, and achievement to their team.
- How will the team be motivated?
- How will the team be supported?
Step 3 Communication is Key with your team and business coach
- Every team needs a clear vision of their mission and what the end result is.
- Plan how communication is to be streamlined.
- Ask for their ideas. Even if you don’t think they’ll work think on them and get back to them. Ask them questions about their ideas. This shows they care about the team, vision, and mission. If you dismiss this, you’ve just lost the team.
- Communicate daily with your teams. Let them know how they are moving the team towards the common goal.
- Thank Them!
Step 4 Make it a Picture
- Take team pictures and hang on the walls. Make sure you have team pictures up in your office.
- Talk about who the company is becoming, who they are becoming, and who you are becoming.
- Have a score board so every one can see how the team is playing.
Your business coach in Omaha NE (or anywhere else) can help you develop a winning team in your organization by utilizing these steps.